Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Ahhhh….the holidays

Somehow I felt I had to say this now that we’re between Thanksgiving and New Year’s.  Is it hard to believe 2013 is already staring at us?  Where did the year go?

I look back on 2012 and think about how exciting it’s been.  If the presidential election wasn’t enough to stir some emotion, good or bad, the passing of greats like Neil Armstrong, Etta James, Whitney Houston, Dick Clark, Phillis Diller, Sally Ride, Donna Summer and Andy Griffith (to name a few) was enough to stir some in me and remind me of my own mortality.  Thank goodness Betty White is still with us!

I took some time to travel home to Ann Arbor, Michigan for Thanksgiving, celebrate my birthday and to spend time with my family.  Traveling to Michigan during this time of year makes me thankful I live and work in such an amazing place, as I wrote below, but it also reminds me how thankful I am to have such a wonderful family and friends.  Accepting the passing of some of my childhood and adult idols makes me stop and think about how temporary life is.  When I was younger I would listen to people make statements like this and think “yeah sure, how boring” but now I realize just how true it is.  How lucky I feel to have finally had this epiphany.

The other day, 10 of us from the hotel attended the funeral of one of our long term guests, Jewel Price, who has stayed with us for 14 years.  Can you imagine?  Many things come to mind when you learn this, but more than anything I can’t help but to say “Thank you Mrs. Price for touching our lives” and being such an inspiration to so many people.  We will miss you but will always be grateful for your friendship and loyalty.

I always get a little melancholy at the end of the year, but underneath that feeling is an excitement about what the next year has in store.  Get out and travel, do what you’ve always wanted to do and make a difference.  If that happens to include a visit to Beverly Hills; we’ll be waiting for you.

To everyone; Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa and Happy New Year!

Oh, and December 17 is National Maple Syrup day which we’re happy to help you celebrate on your waffle at our Residence Inn breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment